Goto page 1, 2  Next

SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » resources for ships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject:

what if:
to build ships on your planet you need certain resources for each shiptype, that are provided by the planets in your starsystem.
there would be needed some resources, like two kinds of propellant, one for warp-travel one for normal. two kinds of alloys ...

if you don`t have enough resources on your planet, you'll have to wait to build the new ships, until the production of the needed resources will have cached up, or build different ships, that need only resources, that you still have in stock.
 Back to top »
Lou of East from West
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject:

nice idea, but there shuold be resource pickups, like colonies....
the game should be more conquest type, then tactic. Otherwise, no, not fer. Especialy if resources are random, like mp. Hell no!

[ This Message was edited by: Lou of East from West on 2003-12-22 16:37 ]
 Back to top »
JaM
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject:

And how do you gain the resources? That's the question.
I like this game because new players has equal chances to old players and because it is real time (not tick or turn based).
 Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject:

i suggest not to restrict the main ships. this resource restiction could be used to balance out single very strong ships (for example spectre)

or maybe as a balance for a complete new technology with very powerfull ships... (extented mining and cryptonite harvest technology for crytpo-cruisers, crypto-cannons... )

[ This Message was edited by: spacetrace on 2003-12-22 18:06 ]
 Back to top »
mackman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject:

If you did that you would have to make the game last longer there is not enough time as it is.Also that will make the game even more confusing for the newer players it takes long enough just learning good ship combos and tactics now we have to fly around the universe looking for fuel rods and alloys?I personally am not sure about this idea i`m not saying i dont like it just dont know.

admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject:

the resources could come from the planets in your starsystem. in the beginning there could be a box, where you can decide which resources you want to rely on most, so your planets produce more of them.
the production could be automatically, that for a time unit you get somany resources, like your planets produce.

there would be no restriction on building ships, just, that you cannot build the same ships all the time, because then one of your resources could run out and you have to think about a new ship-combo then, until your resources are refilled.

maybe you can conquer the planets in your starsystem, to get more resources.

there could also be a balance at the beginning of the game, you can decide, if you want to have more manpower or richer planets in your system
 Back to top »
xavierhol
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject:

personally... that means a really difficult game and u will ruin it because then if u don't have resources... well how can u collect more???????????????? plus i don't like the idea of changing the game from tactics to conquer-tactic.. it will make the game really lot slower and it will be more difficult to play!!!
 Back to top »
Lou of East from West
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject:

No more restrictions, please!
And imagine a n00b who select resources, and (as we all didn't) read the manuall immidietly!
Like and he uderstand he didn't take warp-resource? lol, that will be fun!

No realy, if u will add more conquest features in game, ok! But otherwise this sucks.
Conquest feature:
- mp growing (maybe)
- taking of planets (that contain rasources)
* when tech is accepted, before all ST can build it:
- researched player can built it!
- 3 players must found it and research it on pre-warp planets.
- market
hmm, sugest somw more
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject:

sure, there should be no more restrictions, and it should not be of major importance which resources you select. you will always have enough resources to build the basic ships, and they produce automatically (for example 1000 alloys per hour) so you don`t have to collect them.
n00bs should not be concerned with them - it should be a new option, that you can follow, or not
 Back to top »
Passchendaele
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject:

I think I understand. The resources would be a checks-and-balances system for the different types of ships, to keep people from building the exact same fleet all the time.

For example, I used up my "emp syrup", which was good for 10,000 mp worth of jamming ships, so now I have to use my reconstructors, because I have too much "spore cream".

I do like the idea, and it is simple to use. It forces versatility on players.

I suggest that each player start with the same amount of resourses of each type, and when one type is used, the other types fill the space, like a pie chart.

For example, you have 10,000 units of "Emp syrup" and 10,000 units of "spore cream". You build a fleet that uses 2000 mp worth of Emp type ships, so your "emp syrup" is now at 8,000 units, and your "spore cream" is now at 12,000 units. When all your "emp syrup" is gone, you have 20,000 units of "spore cream". The only way to get some coveted syrup is by using up some of that plentiful cream, or "nanite jelly" you have been saving up.

Perhaps it is only replenished when those ships are killed in combat, to reduce people's desire to cut corners.

darklim
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject:

If this are implemented i'm stop playing Space Trace...
This will make Space Trace harder to play

Passchendaele
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject:

Now I support it 100%

We are Bjork
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject:

lol.

Dont like the idea much though.
 Back to top »
JaM
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject:

One question, why you aren't allowed to play only one sort of combo. You said it yourself Passchendaele, there is no such thing as a perfect fleet setup, every fleet has one or more counterfleets. If you play only one type and the enemy find out, you will be forced to play another.
That suggestion of spacetrace I do like
Quote:
i suggest not to restrict the main ships. this resource restiction could be used to balance out single very strong ships (for example spectre)

Anyway, just answer my first question, because I think that is the main question in this discussion.
(But if darklim leaves the forum because of this implemtation I think it is worth a shot )
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject:

@darklim: what are you fraid of?
it should not make it harder to play. just a new option.
there were many requests for a new aspect about conquering in spacetrace, and i think that is a very banning gameaspect, that could increase the joy in spacetrace.
sure spacetrace should not be one of these build-up until-you-own-the-galaxy-games, but i still think there is missing a certain trading-component in the game.
it should not change the existing concept, which is all about the composure of fleets, more it should add some more flavour, that you really feel like floating in space

what do you think?
 Back to top »
steven1982
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject:

I think it's ok, at least if it is something like this:
Quote:

That would do something nice, so i agree with JaM on this.

Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject:

as we invented spacetrace we don`t wanted any resouce base ship porduction like in planetarion for example, because there shouldn`t be any strategical advantage for players that are playing all,all,all the time collecting resources in the galaxy .

so collecting resources is boring , having just cool confrontaitions on a fair level is most fun

so the resource idea should only be used to make things fair .

like :

if you want to use a specific strong ship you need to collect resources in you planetary system for all your ships because of ...(whatever).. and you need a special orbital station to refine it (with mp) that way your base gets more vulvenerable... that way a supreme science could be balanced.

so it should be used only for a new technology

[ This Message was edited by: spacetrace on 2003-12-23 18:16 ]
 Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject:

the restriction of the manpower to one stable value and the focus on the fleet tactics is the main advantage and there should not be a workaround like a secondary resource system that may give an advantage to any player.

so i vote no for a fundamental system change

and i suggest nothing more to do than i suggested above (and that may be fun, but maybe not )

[ This Message was edited by: spacetrace on 2003-12-23 18:29 ]
 Back to top »
Metody I The Evil
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
floating in space

BINGO! I personally disliked the whole resource-thing until I read THAT ...

Yeah, resources should FLOAT in space, e.g. change their positions /special resource-planets if you like/... Then, players would fight for them - like the black-hole... So, you receive a message like "A titanium meteorite detected at xxx/yyy/zz", and all players rush towards it; Such a resource should be depleted in a few days, or per fleet basis, or whatever... then, it appears again in some different coords...

Maybe even a new thing in the HQ called "mining" with each resource and the place it could be found... And after the source is depleted, it changes the location to the new source, etc...

But, the floating resources would definately solve the "Black hole only one" or "Black hole too far" issues to some extent

Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject:

there are 3 main resources to reach the goal of spacetrace .

the goal is to make points !

the three resources are :

mp (restricted) every player has nearly the same mp

time (to make inventions):
every player can invent new ships to have more ships to have more combinations to make points (the goal) (only tactical skills can make a use of the most invented ships )- every player has the same amount of time

tactical and strategical and diplomatic skills:
this resource is the most important and the most interesting. the other two resources are equal for all. but this ones are different for every player. players can build up cool allaince, or they can make points against 5 enemy fleets (even more), players can hold the black hole for a long time...

the black hole is just a goal but not a resource.(keeping the black hole makes you not better ! )

there would be battles at a resource source but if it will lead to unfair distribution of another resource the game will loose its potential (a unfair game ?? never!!)... as i told above everything is balanced (time-> inventions, mp) so you are forced to improve your diplomatic/strategic/tactical skills , and i like that most

additional to that we administrators should care for many players , even those who are not writing post here:
- people who are playing not too much (have they time to collect stuff ? )
- the noobs (if we shift the game balance even more towards the skilled players noone will join anymore)

i think another resource is only needed for a special gimmick like i told above (as another game option)

[ This Message was edited by: spacetrace on 2003-12-23 21:25 ]
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » resources for ships
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: