Recent topics Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Helping noobs, so more players stay in ST
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » Helping noobs, so more players stay in ST
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dutchbatter
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject:

I remember my first time in spacetrace.

It was quite difficult to understand the game. I learn a much of other players, who helped me with fleet setups.

But lot of new players has no idea what to do when they are new.

So i think we must help them. Make it for all players easyer to come on irc. Make a button for irc in the menu. Now i have a button in my com list for irc chat, but of the begin it not work by my computer.
Everybody must have the name of his planet on irc, so nobody can use an other name. The name for the planet name (for "of").

A lot of information is in the forum, but now the forum is so big, that the noobs will not find the information what they search. That is not nice for them.

And i think, give the players a warning when they log in for the first time.

Set in that message something like this: "in the begin is this game not easy to understand, but after that period this game is really nice. You can ask some help in the forum or on irc chat, there you can talk with other players."

I mean, give the new players a warning. Now is the game difficult for the new players and they don't know that it later will be much nicer and interessting. But if they quit before, they never will know.
 Back to top »
steven1982
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Yes that would be a nice thing, also alliances like Borg (last round) are helping a great deal with this, ok you'll get a pretty stuffed alliance (i can know we have a lot of n00bs in our alliance) but when they learn and appreciat the game, next round you'll have a bunch of new players ready to go out on their own and make this game more exiting.

2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject:

I agree with above idea's. I considir myself still as an noob, and even the fact that i'm in the best alliance there is, i find that i have quite a bit to learn still.
Maybe we can take out information from the forum, that is really old or not interesting any more. And create a short way to into the forum, that new players can get discussed information about fleet setups, ships and tactics in an easy way.
And we can motivate new players to ask for help and information from players that rank top 10.

spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject:

you are absolutely right. with th ehelp of the players st has grown to an elaborated game. i guess many more players would like to play st but it is very complex so that noobs need some time to understand what's going on.

the irc button is working for IE with java script, but anyway irc is an independent part of th einternet. experienced ineternet user can deal with it.

anyway: most important: helping noobs to understand what's cooking:

- let them join your alliances
- answer questions over irc or ingame messages
- "exchange" your fleet tactics by succesfull attacking

the server can deal with about 600 active players. so... noobs welcome !
 Back to top »

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject:

first time in here and no plan, hmm will see
 Back to top »
Dutchbatter
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject:

what you want to know?
 Back to top »
Scopulus
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject:

i really like this games attitudes to n00bs, everyone seems to be very helpful towards them. I think when a n00b starts the game they should be advised to participate in the forums and message other players on how to play the game.

Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject:

dutchbatter is right, but i think with the irc button dosnt enough. In the principal page, we need a button or something for connect directly to a noob forum, or maybe another link where there explain more the game to them (noobs). Eeverybody know how registered, at least they have to know, then we have login, it is relative easy, but when they are in the game, some ones, (like happened to me) dont know what means each button. Hq, Com, Production, etc.(And this still happening with other online games), so i think we need a link where explain all the buttons inside the games, some kind of fleets setups, what is a research and for what will better does it, what means ly in real time, making fleets, how send them?, also the attack code. how make ships?, how send probe?. even how send a message?, how work a battle reprt with all details
ETC , maybe some ones are not agree with me or dont understand me, but we can only do the button for the IRC, but some people havent java, and some people dont undestand english idiom... so we need transalte all the manual and all things, maybe even the forum.
At least english, spanish and deusth(Germany) and chinese... another options could be french, portuguese, and russian)
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject:

there was a topic in n00b help, with a conclusion, what n00bs have to know about the game, but i cannot find it anymore
i think a better explanation how to start for the n00bs in the game is needed.
the starting message when you enter the game is very short and maybe the manual is not what everybody wants to read. (i think only 10 % of all people in the world read manuals) so there should be a welcome message, that is explaining more of the game.
there are about 20 n00bs every day, but only 1 of them stays and one player leaves the game each day.
so if we could convince the 20 n00bs each day, this would be the biggest effect :9
 Back to top »
Dutchbatter
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject:

I think that too.

There must be a good help for noobs. The forum is to big to get/find all info.

There must come a page where the must info stands with tip and tricks, what is easy to find for the noobs. All tips, the starting fleet setup, The researches for explaning. Protect your base always with 1 1 1. All sort of that tricks.

It already stands on places, but i help a lot of noobs, who is sending me messages ingame with the question if i want to help them. I give them a lot of info and tell them where they can find more info (forum and irc, to chat with players), but it is difficult for them.

I think a good info page is good with all explanations. So first the button com list, than the button HQ and so all explanations and functions of the complete menu. And after that info about the fleet setups and the way how battles works.

But there are already some tips in the menu when you start an account. If we do this, we can help them a lot. And the new players must know that they can ask other players. I think a lot of players don't relaize that.
 Back to top »
jazzy
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject:

row row row your ship gently down the galaxy merrily merrily merrily merrily life on spacetrace is such a dream...

Yeah I think DutchBatter has brilliant idea's..

Hip hip hoera...for he's a jolly good fellow

I am a newbie and I like all the attention lol

Turiana of Ymareth
 Back to top »
ir4s
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject:

Maybe an interactive thing like in the strategy games such as warcraft were "someone" explains you the basics would be great, some flash animations would do the job easily. Also, adding some battle example with advanced basic fleet setups will show the real power of the basic ships, so there's no only a nice beggining in the game but it's also a good starting tip.
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject:

it would be great if one of the experienced players could write something like this. you have more experience thatn even i have in playing the game
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » Helping noobs, so more players stay in ST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: