SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » General Discussion » multi-accounts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject:

many player send reports to the administration like this:

"xxx and yyy are multi-players"

if this problem will not be solved by the players we need to shut down the server for a strike again.
soon the capacity of the server will be reached, and it is unfair to have multiple accounts. if this problem cannot be solved by the players, noone will solve it!!!
(we will not check a single data-base entry, if you wanna destroy this game, go ahead, congratulations)

you marked the checkbox at the beginning:
this is my only account.

so this is just your problem.

delete your multi-accounts to solve it.
 Back to top »
Dougster
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I guess if that is the only way, it's a shame though.
 Back to top »
Blazedem0n
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject:

nooooo why not assign people to be able to look for ,multies and just delete there accounts and tell them to only make 1 and if it continues u could ban there ip i really dont want this great game gone like common there are alot oif clean players willing to kick multies out even if they are good players they should know not to cheat thats not the point of the game

spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject:

all technical solutions will not work (some guys are using the same computer and so on) and we cannot delete accounts without a final evidence.

maybe the community of this game is healthy enough maybe not.
 Back to top »
SMod
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject:

What if we don't allow more than one user from each ip?!

if they are brothers!! well sorry we can't let them both play!

that is the only way we can solve multys!

at least to some part

SirTaz
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject:

well by doing that you'll also put out the people who play from school computers, public libraries, family members or co-workers at a company, that could put out half if not more from the game.
 Back to top »
Venom
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject:

I know there are multis, i've been attacked by one and he uses his multi accounts to guard his main planet. You could try limiting to one account per IP, but like mentioned before, someone at school could make an account for each comp in the lab, each one having a different IP. The point is that they are dishonest, they do not learn the game, they cheat. It took a multi fleet to wipe me out, he couldn't do it with his one account. He also calls many of his multis and alliance, yeah right.
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:34 am    Post subject:

ok, we diskussed all possibilities and the only thing we can do is, to have the registration combined with a valid email adress and this adress has to be unique.

this will not solve the problem, but it will make it a bit more difficult.

we didnt want to make the email confirmary in the first place, because this would keep away some possible players, but now, that we have a big enough community, i think it will be ok.
 Back to top »
coolbomb
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject:

Hi guys,

I think that limiting one user by Ip its not a option. For example some isp dont give valid ips to every user. They use a network gateway and they NAT all their user to go out with the same ip address. Also for people like me that play at office (i have a partner that play) we both go out with the same ip and at home my brother and i use the same computer to play.

I think that we whant to have more people playing if you put that limit... you will have less.

Back to top »
Damascus
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject:

I really want to help you guys out on this because I really dont want this game closed. Im doing so well!

So i thought about it, and came up with some ideas:
When people sign up, you are able to see what there chosen password was right? Well if two people have the same password, then you'll need a manager or someone to watch them closely on what they do, like if they send fleets to defend the planet with the same password, see (if you can) if they have communicated with each other. If not then its a multi account. If you cant see their messages then just tell them that you have discovered that they are using a multi account, and you will prosicute them (or sue or wateva) if they dont leave.
And if they ssay that they arent a multi......just keep watchin them until they mess up somewhere
hope that helps

Quote:
Mess with me, you'll have to mess with my buddies.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
God
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject:

well it doesn't work like this

many multys use dif pass for each account

i think what admin is doing is great!!

you have to have valid email! 1 mail for each player

Back to top »
Damascus
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject:

OK.....just thinkin of anything i can to help
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blazedem0n
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject:

i thinks its a good idea to asign a squad to be able to check for multies like look at there login times there ip adress and all the stuff beacause it would actually help with multies and i know u admin prob have yer hands full...... anyway the person would have to be trusted..... but i think it would be worth a try

peace of love
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject:

well, ok, there are some multies in the game.

but the multies have one big problem themselves... if they come to good results they ll leave tracks otherwise its pretty useless for them and no need to care for them.
the problem with the multies is that they are no good players but force other honest players leave the game cause those could not stand to be attacked by 12 players attacking them at the same time...thats a b id nuisance and spoils the fun of those who are hit in that way....

the best would be to solve the multy problem in the community. means telling suspected multies to declare the situation or if the suspection was right quit the additional accounts. this will work to a wide degree if...

a) only accusal will be made by evidences or strong hints
b) players who accuse s.o. obeying point a) are not called whiners cause multies are anuisance
c) those pseudo-multies (honest players using the same computer at school , office , home etc) have a large amount of patience cause they ll be under suspect for several times

the technical solution , like god said, is a multybasher, means a nonplayer who gets all the data and decides on human logic which palyers are multies... damascus named some criteria and there are more... this is hard work cause you also have to check battlereports ,logintimes, mailtransfer (even though the privacy should be kept that noone - not the multybasher as well - should be able to read the content of ingame mails) and search for other sign .....
this multybasher has also the problem to be effective but start no witchhunt on the other side... maybe some non-players who decide and search are needed....
this is pretty uncomforatble cause its much work and spoils the good mood which had been in the firts rounds cause everybody must be checked and so on...

so this game is about tactic and diplomacy and having fun and making friends...

maybe the problem will be solved if the admins would be so kind to programm another game called "build so many multýacoounts as you can" .
 Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject:

we will not delete multi-accounts because it's absoulut unpleasent to do.

we present this game for free and it's much fun to evolve it and programm for it, but the players need to help us , that they keep the rules !

if we have some "which hunters" in the game the whole atmosphere will suffer. if there will be accounts deleted because some poor people are using the same computer, it would be a desaster.

we could make accounts cost something to solve the problem, who likes this???

we won't!
and we keep the promise:
"spacetrace stays free"

but you gotta keep promise you made when you registered...(this is my only account...).

[ This Message was edited by: spacetrace on 2002-11-08 11:19 ]
 Back to top »
Venom
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Well, the valid email is ok, but most people have at least 5 accounts from their ISP, let alone Yahoo and Hotmail. I think there will always be multis. They only way to cut down, but most are against this, is to charge per account. I like this game and i would be willing to pay 20 buck a year or so.
 Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject:

we had a discussion about that , this is the result:

spacetrace will stay free.
we would like it if a sponsor will support us, but we won't want money from the users.

we will install a welcome page for noobs, it will contain some important information about this game and the main rules.

the aged players need to help the noobs to understand (!) the rules. this game makes no sense if the rules are ignored.

(we play chess and i have 3200 pawns and 800 queens, is that fun??? )

[ This Message was edited by: spacetrace on 2002-11-08 22:04 ]
 Back to top »
Gochi
Midshipman

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject:

i know sometimes a player leave the game..and their fleet stand there.. And there are an account useless. Why don't U introduce a botton or something like to choose a Self-destruction?.So, this self destruction became this planet in pre-warp planet. it'a an alternativeto many players on-line.
 Back to top »
Blazedem0n
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject:

dont they already have that button anyway.... i like how spacetrace is free but sometimes the server gets slow doesnt really bother me but multies are just messing the game up i really like this game i am not an aged player not yet anyway but im learning it and becoming somewaht good i dont believe in constantly attacking someone... i do it over time like 1 attack a week or so but when u say something that isnt true i will do something like sit on you (sorry wiz you got me back thno ) but i think there should be a limit on attacking someone beacuase it just isnt right the 24 hour thing is good but like i think the mercinaries are facing they get attacked constantly by alot of fleets it must be hard thats why i stoped i had my fun but common guys its done and i donnop if you guys are anyone is using multy acounts on them but if you are is it really useful? just ask yerself that if yer a multy what are you getting out of it?

Damascus
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject:

I think thats an excellent idea. (Gochi)

I actually left another multi game to come here.
But there was no way to delete acount so it was just left there.
What you could also do, is if no one logs in or is active for a month just simply delete their acount.

[ This Message was edited by: Damascus on 2002-11-08 23:45 ]
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » General Discussion » multi-accounts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: